Skip to main content

2 Chainz

2
2 Chainz


It'z 2 CHAINZ! I'm doing my 2 Chainz impression via text. I hope you're picking up what I'm throwin' down. 2 Chainz is the light, not at the end of the tunnel, but the light IN the tunnel. What I mean by that is- in a world of crappy, mumbly, hook-driven rap music- 2 Chainz is the true prophet keeping the legacy of G-funk, conscious rap, & wherever we were headed next... that next chapter of rap... where rap should have headed after the late 90's and early aughts- not the crap we hear on the rap radio stations today or what is poppin' on Soundcloud. 2 Chainz is recognized as an influential player in the southern hip-hop scene.  He was a part of the duo Playaz Circle, who were signed to Ludacris' label Disturbing Tha Peace (not a bad sign of confidence from a fellow Atlanta legend). He busted solo and signed to Def Jam Records in 2012. His debut album, Based On A T.R.U. Story threw him into the mainstream limelight with certifited hits like "Birthday Song" & "No Lie". I've always enjoyed 2's delivery & flow. His word play & vocabulary is bar none. He never made below a C in high school. Snoop Dogg summed it up best when he was interviewing 2 Chainz & said, "That's probably why your rhymes are so sustaining as far as the intellect of your rhymes. You know what I'm sayin'? 'Cuz a lot of mother fuckers, when they rap, they rap ABC shit- don't really know what it means. Your shit got a long understanding to it & it crosses over with everybody." So, besides the fact that he has Luda and Snoop's approval & besides the fact he hosts a show called "Most Expensivest", which constantly cracks me up, he is a certified G- I mean... G.R.- a great rapper. I really hopped on board with 2 Chainz when he released his fourth album in 2017, Pretty Girls Like Trap Music. You know how certain songs hit you right away? Certified classic upon first hearing? That was his song "It's A Vibe" for me. I knew the rap game was in good hands when I heard this song. Going back to how 2 Chainz is carrying the torch from where we left off in the late 90's and early aughts- I heard "It's A Vibe" and knew 2 Chainz was the man & I had to quit sleeping on him- time to become a legit fan. So I am... & that's why I'm writing this... It'z...

2 Chainz

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Billie Holiday

27 Billie Holiday Billie Holiday The first jazz singer to really incorporate blues & move peoples hearts, Billie is immortal. I didn't get into her with her traditional music but rather the 2007 album Remixed and Reimagined . Even through the chops & screws- one thing was unmistakable- that voice- so beautiful, so unique, so pure... She said she tried to sing like a horn & it's evident. She is one of the most accomplish vocal performers of all time. A half-a-century later & her style is still mimicked. Billie is as American as apple pie. In 1935 she was singing at the Apollo Theater. She hopped around labels- Columbia to Decca to Verve- until finding her home. She would battle personal problems (drug use & the like). She would pass away on July 17, 1959. Ella Fitzgerald, Louis Armstrong, Duke Ellington... there's certain artist that are almost as important to American history as they are to the progression of popular music itself. Billie is one of...

Grouper

 131 Grouper  Grouper Reverb. Echo. Effects. Acoustic. Droney. These are some words you could use to explain Grouper's earlier work. Grouper is the solo project of Liz Harris. Her first album was self-titled & self-released. Grouper's second album was 2006's Way Their Crept . There was something special about that mid-ought's droney-underwater sounding indie. Grouper would go on to release five (!) more albums before I came on board as a fan: 2006's Wide , 2007's Cover The Windows & The Walls , 2008's widely acclaimed Dragging a Dead Deer Up a Hill & 2011's double-album (but separately released) AIA: Dream Loss & AIA: Alien Observer ... just to be followed up by 2012's double album: Violent Replacement Part I and Violent Replacement Part II . It wasn't until Grouper's more structured-releases that I became a full fledged fan. It was with 2013's The Man Who Died In His Boat that I finally jumped on board as a full-fled...

Björk

28 Björk Björk If Billie Holiday is an American treasure, well, if you were to put that treasure underwater, froze it, thawed it out centuries into the future and doused some acid & baking soda on it, out of that treasure chest would come Björk. Originally gaining fame in her home of Iceland with her band, the Sugarcubes, Björk was bound to break solo & she did just that with 1993's Debut . Following that was 1995's Post , 97's Homogenic , 2001's Vespertine, 2004's  Medúlla , 2007's Volta , 2011's Biophilia  (the first album where I was truly a fan), 2015's Vulnicura and 2017's Utopia . There's a lot to unpack there... you can't skip her first three or four albums, they're all amazing. I like Volta  just because it seems to be the loosest (and most fun) album she has. Vulnicura  was her break up album, with Björk expressing that the album reflects her feelings before and after her breakup and the healing process. Her legacy...