Skip to main content

Frankie Cosmos

 108

Frankie Cosmos

 

Frankie Cosmos

Frankie Cosmos is the bedroom project of Greta Kline. I first became aware of Frankie when her super lo-fi, independent 2014 release Zentropy album cover kept popping up on the usual indie publications and websites. The album cover left an impression on me because it had a picture of an adorable dog. But for whatever reason, I paid no mind and never checked it out. It wasn’t until Frankie released her Fit Me In EP in 2015 that I figured, “Hey, I’ve kept seeing this name popping up, I might as well check it out.” Boy, am I glad I did! As soon as I heard her song “Young” I knew I had discovered a new artist that I was going to love. Few songs hit you right away. A song that sounds so familiar, you wonder how you’ve gone your whole life living without it. That was “Young” for me. It spoke to me, as if Frankie wrote a song and was singing it directly to me. It’s that particular feeling that all music-lovers keep chasing. Anyways, that whole EP was amazing. So, with that, I went and listened to the other album I had seen so many times before, the one with the cute pup on the cover. That album was just as consistent and great as the EP. I now understood why she was getting so much hype from the press for Zentropy and a huge part of me was upset that I didn’t jump on board earlier. Frankie has released three albums since I’ve become a fan. 2016’s Next Thing, another amazing album coming off the heels of the EP that made me a fan. 2018 saw the release of Vessel, and 2019 saw the release of Close It Quietly, both released on Sub Pop records. So, let’s re-cap: Indie pop group Frankie Cosmos started off as a home-based solo project in the early 2010s. By 2012, singer/songwriter and bandleader Greta Kline dropped out of college to begin focusing on music and playing live. Following dozens of home-recorded, self-released collections, Frankie Cosmos' debut, Zentropy, arrived in 2014. It represented Kline's first studio album, completed with the help of a full band. She soon signed with Bayonet Records, which issued the four-track Fit Me In EP a year later. The second Frankie Cosmos studio album was written as the songwriter transitioned into her twenties. Titled Next Thing, it saw a release in 2016. Next Thing spent a week at the number 13 spot on the Billboard Heatseekers Albums chart and was a Top 40 independent album. Since then, she’s been releasing consistently great music, proving, great music can’t stay hidden and underground forever- it will eventually boil up to the top and be sent into the cosmos... Just as a great as Picasso…

It’s…

Frankie Cosmos


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Billie Holiday

27 Billie Holiday Billie Holiday The first jazz singer to really incorporate blues & move peoples hearts, Billie is immortal. I didn't get into her with her traditional music but rather the 2007 album Remixed and Reimagined . Even through the chops & screws- one thing was unmistakable- that voice- so beautiful, so unique, so pure... She said she tried to sing like a horn & it's evident. She is one of the most accomplish vocal performers of all time. A half-a-century later & her style is still mimicked. Billie is as American as apple pie. In 1935 she was singing at the Apollo Theater. She hopped around labels- Columbia to Decca to Verve- until finding her home. She would battle personal problems (drug use & the like). She would pass away on July 17, 1959. Ella Fitzgerald, Louis Armstrong, Duke Ellington... there's certain artist that are almost as important to American history as they are to the progression of popular music itself. Billie is one of...

Grouper

 131 Grouper  Grouper Reverb. Echo. Effects. Acoustic. Droney. These are some words you could use to explain Grouper's earlier work. Grouper is the solo project of Liz Harris. Her first album was self-titled & self-released. Grouper's second album was 2006's Way Their Crept . There was something special about that mid-ought's droney-underwater sounding indie. Grouper would go on to release five (!) more albums before I came on board as a fan: 2006's Wide , 2007's Cover The Windows & The Walls , 2008's widely acclaimed Dragging a Dead Deer Up a Hill & 2011's double-album (but separately released) AIA: Dream Loss & AIA: Alien Observer ... just to be followed up by 2012's double album: Violent Replacement Part I and Violent Replacement Part II . It wasn't until Grouper's more structured-releases that I became a full fledged fan. It was with 2013's The Man Who Died In His Boat that I finally jumped on board as a full-fled...

Björk

28 Björk Björk If Billie Holiday is an American treasure, well, if you were to put that treasure underwater, froze it, thawed it out centuries into the future and doused some acid & baking soda on it, out of that treasure chest would come Björk. Originally gaining fame in her home of Iceland with her band, the Sugarcubes, Björk was bound to break solo & she did just that with 1993's Debut . Following that was 1995's Post , 97's Homogenic , 2001's Vespertine, 2004's  Medúlla , 2007's Volta , 2011's Biophilia  (the first album where I was truly a fan), 2015's Vulnicura and 2017's Utopia . There's a lot to unpack there... you can't skip her first three or four albums, they're all amazing. I like Volta  just because it seems to be the loosest (and most fun) album she has. Vulnicura  was her break up album, with Björk expressing that the album reflects her feelings before and after her breakup and the healing process. Her legacy...